Anyone able to use DD-WRT v24.sp1 as Xbox 360 adapter?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
SNYP40A1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:24    Post subject: Anyone able to use DD-WRT v24.sp1 as Xbox 360 adapter? Reply with quote
I have DD-WRT running in Client Bridge mode and I followed the Wiki for v24 sp1 here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge

However, I can only access the configuration page on the client router, I cannot access any webpages or the configuration page on the host server router.

If I do not manually configure the IP address on the computer connected to the client router, it does not acquire an IP address. I read the note on the link above where it mentions that DCHP is not enabled on the client router when it is in client bridge mode. However, even that aside, I should still be able to access the internet over the wireless bridge. I don't care about connecting to the client router wirelessly, I just want to use the client router as a wireless to wired Ethernet adapter (to connect the Xbox). Has anyone gotten this to work with DD-WRT v24 SP1? A while ago, I accidently got it to work with my neighbor's router, I know this because when I went to 192.168.1.1, I accessed the default Linksys config page on my neighbor's router. So I know it works with v23, but have not tried v24. I almost bricked my router this morning when I tried reverting back to v23 so I would like that to be a last resort...sticking with v24 if possible. Also, the base router uses 192.168.0.1 as the config page and 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.200 as the IP range.

Anyone using v24.sp1 as a wireless adapter for Xbox 360? If so, how?
Sponsor
freonchill
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
i have not tried it with an xbox360
but i have setup several client bridge with wrt54g and fon

i typically set it up as follows
host router (192.168.1.1)
dhcp server
client bridge router (192.168.1.2)
dhcp server disabled, gateway to host router

i then can connect any number of devices to the client bridge
with either static or dhcp for machines setup to the client machines.

i would think that you would want to setup the xbox with static IP and then configure the required ports on the host router for the IP of the xbox 360.

Quote:
* TCP 80
* UDP 88
* UDP 3074
* TCP 3074
* UDP 53
* TCP 53

but you could simplify that as
Quote:
* TCP 80
* UDP 88
* both 3074
* both 53

and if the latency is bad between the host router and the client bridge, then there might be some lag when playing games online

2x BUFFALO WHR-G54S
1x La Fonera
FON Client Bridge tutorial
LordFlux
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have an XBox360 bridged using a WRT54GL in Client Bridge mode. Works great.

When setting up the Client Bridge, disable the WAN connection, disable DHCP, set wireless mode to Client Bridge, enter the SSID of the wireless network you want to connect to, then enter any security details on the Wireless Security page.

The XBox360 is able to retrieve all of the IP information from the DHCP server in the main router. The Client Bridge doesn't effect the ports required for Live to work, but make sure that the ports are forwarded on your main router or that you have the 360 set in DMZ.
SNYP40A1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
The client bridge seems to kinda work, but I am having issues. I can see and talk to friends online, but I cannot join or host games. Anyone seen this issue?
dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
SNYP40A1 wrote:
The client bridge seems to kinda work, but I am having issues. I can see and talk to friends online, but I cannot join or host games. Anyone seen this issue?

Make sure you forward port 3074 to the IP of your XBOX....

You should use a static IP for your Xbox - you can define that in DD-WRT based on the XBOX MAC adress
SNYP40A1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
The host router is actually a Zonet router without DD-WRT installed. The client router has DD-WRT installed and is attached to the XBox. Do I need to enable port forwarding on the client router or just the host router? My understanding is that I have effectively turned the DD-WRT client router into an wireless adapter which transparently connects the Xbox to the Zonet host router. I can assign an IP address to the Xbox and setup that address DMZ on the host router...I'll try that. I turned off the firewall on the host router so I assume that all ports are forwarded. Otherwise, I would not have been able to log into Xbox live, correct? I will also try connecting the XBox directly to the host router. I tried that yesterday, but maybe something changed...I did change some settings...

Update: It works when I plug the XBox in directly to the host router. So it appears that the connection across the bridge is either really bad or I need to forward some ports on the client router only...sound right?
dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
SNYP40A1 wrote:
The host router is actually a Zonet router without DD-WRT installed. The client router has DD-WRT installed and is attached to the XBox. Do I need to enable port forwarding on the client router or just the host router? My understanding is that I have effectively turned the DD-WRT client router into an wireless adapter which transparently connects the Xbox to the Zonet host router. I can assign an IP address to the Xbox and setup that address DMZ on the host router...I'll try that. I turned off the firewall on the host router so I assume that all ports are forwarded. Otherwise, I would not have been able to log into Xbox live, correct? I will also try connecting the XBox directly to the host router. I tried that yesterday, but maybe something changed...I did change some settings...

Here is how my xbox is setup

1) Internet to AP (WRT310N running DD-WRT)

Ap assigns static IP to XBOX MAC (static lease)
Port Forward 3074 (tcp & udp) to xbox IP
uPnP disabled

2) WRT54GL Running DD-WRT in Client Bridge Mode hard wired to Xbox

Everything works fine in this configuration

What kind of signal strength and SnR do you get on the client bridge?
SNYP40A1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually, I tried it again and it is working great now. I got full green bars in Halo 3 and my connection has not dropped so far (been playing for about an hour). If I have issues tomorrow, I'll setup a static IP and port forwarding, however, I don't think port forwarding is necessary because without firewall, all ports are open right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: