access restrictions not working in repeater mode?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Kingdomcome
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Absolutely. And I would suggest using Repeater Bridge, which removes NAT. Even in your current setup, you might see a bit more speed if you use RB at the barn.
Keeping the router at your house as a Repeater may be your wish, so that you are not on the same subnet as your neighbor and you dont accidentally print something on their printer or vice versa, or similar.
If you currently have no wireless computers at your house, then Client (Bridge) would be less demanding on the radio than Repeater (Bridge). Likewise if you add a fourth router to the setup to wire your AP to, that should use Client Bridge (no NAT)...Repeater (Bridge) is only needed for middle of a wireless link. Client would be the choice for the end.

AP~~~R(B)~~~R(B)~~~R(B)~~~C(B)---wired computers or AP2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kingdomcome wrote:

AP~~~R(B)~~~R(B)~~~R(B)~~~C(B)---wired computers or AP2

I don't think that his quite right. What he is talking about doing is wiring into the repeater bridge in AP mode and then setting up restictions on the 2nd router in AP mode....like this.

AP1~~~RB1---AP2~~~RB2-~-~Clients.

You actually suggested this Kingdomcome...almost. It is a clever idea, I think. Not sure it would work, but it would be easy to test. You should be able to test it with three routers....remove the last client bridge and see if you can set up a second AP hardwired into the RB with access restrictions.
miscar
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually this is what i was talking about

Ap~~~~R~~~~~~R~~~~~~ap

Leaving all of what i have setup now but plugging another router into the repeater at my house on one of the ports. Then setting access restriction on that router.
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
If ~~~ is wireless, I don't think you will be able to do it that way. I think you will need to wire the AP to a R in order for it to work. You can't connect an AP to an AP wirelessly, and I don't think it matters that you have repeaters in between.

You could try AP~~~R~~~R----AP....that might work.

Let us know. I have had the same problem, and I have LOTS of routers!
Kingdomcome
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
That ascii was just a quick drawing to demondstrate the CB as the end of the wifi link with as many RBs in between to connect with. With the setup that is desired, it makes perfect sense to use a CB at the end of the cross-yards link and plug AP2 into it. I see no need to extend the cross-yard link further past his house.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you plug another router into a Repeater, then yes access restrictions should work.

R----AP----Clients

R and Clients connected to AP will be in different networks. Access restructions should work on both devices.

note: by AP mode I'm not talking about WAP. I'm talking about dd-wrt in default settings (AP mode). I think/hope you already realize this because access restrictions will not work on WAP.

Path to latest builds is here:
ftp://www.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24_TNG/
miscar
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
im talking about running a wire from a port on the second router that is in my house thats in repeater mode to yet another router and setting it in ap mode shouldnt that work since essentially it will be getting its connection from the repeater and be basically its own network. Heres what im thinking

192.168.1.1 AP~~~~~~~~~192.168.18.1 Repeater (in barn)~~~~ 192.168.2.1 Repeater at my house~~~~~~192.168.X.1 AP router directly wired to the repeater in my house.

Sure all those routers will slow down the connection but i can set the repeater at my house to be secure ( and only i would know the key ) then the router directly connected to the repeater i setup As AP and let the kids access it. Will this work?

All the computers in my house are wireless
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
miscar wrote:
im talking about running a wire from a port on the second router that is in my house thats in repeater mode to yet another router and setting it in ap mode shouldnt that work

I wrote:
If you plug another router into a Repeater, then yes access restrictions should work.
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Donny wrote:

You could try AP~~~R~~~R----AP....that might work.

One problem with this setup would be that anyone could plug into R2 instead of AP2 and bypass the restrictions. You would have to shut down the ports in the R2 except the one that you are connecting the AP to....which would allow sophisticated people to simply bypass by using that link. Perhaps not a problem with your kids. If you had the second AP in the barn, that might be a lot harder to plug into!

Just a thought for others reading this thread.
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
ARGGHHH!!!! This does not work. I just spent hours trying to get this set up, and it doesn't work.

I have an AP, connected wireless to a client bridge, wired to an AP with dd-wrt svn10991.

When I put www.dd-wrt.com in the "block by uhl" access restrictions....well....I think I made it in since I am typing this message on a site that I blocked.

Either:

1. This does not work due to the client bridge. (realized it had to be client bridge because AP2 has to be wired to that bridge...repeater would not work)

2. Access restrictions are not working properly.

3. I don't know how to enter access restrictions.

Well...at least I can now run dd-wrt in AP mode...which I have never been able to do before due to my setup.
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
It was number 3 above. I think I have this working now....which is great!

(Have to ENABLE the access restriction)
miscar
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do you have access restictions by mac id or ip address setup? Also as far as someone hardwiring into the port on the second repeater it would require a 40 foot ladder as im mounting it on the side of my chimney with a special enclose. Hehe lets see them try.
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 0:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have done both. Mac address time restrictions. IP range (all the IP addresses in my DHCP range) for websites. It is working well as far as I can tell....websites are definitely working as I can't get on the blocked websites. Haven't heard the kids screaming at 12:30 (10:45 on weekdays) when they lose their internet, but it has only been up for a day.

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
miscar
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
well donny maybe i dont know how to do acccess restrictions my self ive got one set as deny intenet access set with my daughters laptop using her mac id and a time frame but she still has outgoing requests from what i can see so no go there maybe its an issue of he is running version 23 and im running 24 on the repeaters???
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am running 10991 on both units....access is working fine. I have webpage restrictions and lights out by mac address(time restrictions). Both work well for me. Client bridge wired to an AP.

You have to have the router in AP mode for Access restrictions to work.

I have AP to CB wired to 2nd AP. Access restrictions on second AP.

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: